Wednesday, December 15, 2010

'I eat, I swear,' vows Natalie Portman just weeks after admitting she lost 20lbs for movie role

White swan: Natalie Portman shows off her feminine side in a new shoot and interview with American Vogue
Portman looks gorgeous in the visually stunning inside pictures, which follow a dance theme.


Just weeks after admitting that she lost 20lbs for her most recent role, Natalie Portman has defended her slender appearance.

The 29-year-old actress, who this morning was nominated for a Golden Globe Award for her performance as a prima ballerina in Black Swan, talked with U.S. Vogue about her eating habits, new business ventures and how she indulges in food, just like everybody else.

'I swear, I eat. I ate a bagel an hour ago,' she vows during an interview which took place just after she finished filming for Black Swan - a film which required her to lose 20lbs from her already slender frame.

The actress trained 8 -hours a day for months to get her body in the shape needed to play Nina, a prima ballerina that is stick thin and suffers from a number of self destructive habits.

'The dance training for Black Swan started a year before the film, with two hours a day,' Portman says.


Food lover: The actress has been vegan since she was young but admits that she put on 20lbs whilst at university


'Six months later we ramped it up to five hours a day, and the last two months it was eight hours a day, because we added choreography and cross training, so I was also swimming a mile a day.

'The discipline was good for the part—it hurt a lot; your body is in constant pain.'
Like most dancers, she says she survived on coffee and ibuprofen, and slept five hours a night.

But the star has said that since filming wrapped she has gone back to her normal way of life.

'I consume my own weight in hummus every day. I cook a lot, and I even do vegan baking,' claimed the star, who has been a vegan since childhood.


For her craft: Natalie has started a production company that will focus on funny roles for women


On news-stands December 21st


'I like pleasure, I like joy. I'd never get to the point where I would starve or injure myself like [my character] Nina does.

'I'm the opposite—when I'm hungry, I eat, and I always make sure I'm eating something delicious.'

The actress reveals that she has, like anyone, fallen off the weight wagon from time to time.

'I gained my freshman fifteen or twenty and had super-depressed moments,' she says.

'That Cambridge winter is tough. It was important to know how to go through that and how to get myself out of it. You start learning how to ask your friends or professionals for help, or go to mentors.'

Portman also discussed her new business venture.


She has started Handsomecharlie films with business partner Annette Savitch with which she wants to make female lead comedy films.

'Women...are generally not allowed to be beautiful and funny, and certainly not vulgar,' she says.

'There's a difference between being in a bra and underpants as an object on a men's-magazine cover and playing yourself--a woman with desires and needs who loves and laughs with her friends--in a bra and underpants.'


source :dailymail

No comments:

Post a Comment