Sunday, December 12, 2010

Gavin Henson and Scott Maslen just miss out on Strictly final as they're sent packing in double eviction


Ender the road: Rugby star Gavin Henson, front, and EastEnders actor Scott Maslen, far, were eliminated from Strictly last night in a double eviction


Welsh rugby star Gavin Henson said his Strictly Come Dancing experience had helped him regain his 'energy and drive' today after he was kicked off the show.

EastEnders actor Scott Maslen was also hanging up his dancing boots after the semi-final double-elimination, describing the experience as possibly the best of his life.

Next week's final will now see actress Kara Tointon, Countryfile presenter Matt Baker and psychologist Pamela Stephenson compete for the glitterball trophy.

Henson is hoping he can transfer some of his fast footwork onto the rugby field as he focuses on re-building his sporting career.

The 28 year old, who had never danced before, even on a night out, said he was now having 'much more fun' and had even 'developed another side' of his brain.

Speaking on his way to rehearsals for tonight's group dance, he said: 'I'm a bit sad that it's over. It's taken over my life the last three months. It's been an awesome experience.

'I've outdone myself. I didn't really expect to get to the semi-finals. It was a big achievement just to get through the first week.

'The support I must have had out there was awesome. I couldn't believe it.

'I'm not sure what my downfall was. I gave it everything I've got. I worked really hard. I couldn't have done anything more.

'I'm competitive but as long as I know I've given everything I don't mind losing.'

He said before the show he would never hit the dancefloor on a night out 'even after a few drinks' but would 'stand at the bar and look cool'.

But he is now at ease strutting his stuff.

'It's transforming my nights out. It's much more fun,' he said.
Henson finished bottom of the leaderboard after the two semi-final shows at the weekend.

Last night the judges praised his efforts in a Viennese waltz with dance partner Katya Virshilas.

Head judge Len Goodman said: 'You've been the underdog over and over. You're my hero. You've come back strong.'


And then there were three: The pair just missed out on next week's final, leaving Matt Baker, Kara Tointon and Pamela Stephenson to battle it out for the glitterball trophy


And Bruno Tonioli said: 'Regardless what happens you should be proud.'

Henson said the six to seven hours of daily dance training was harder than his rugby regime.

'This is so much harder, it's about perfection. Dancing is more mentally draining. It's information overload.

'I've developed another side of my brain.'


Saying goodbye: Henson and hugs his dance partner Katya Virshilas after hearing the news in the results show


Last dance: Gavin and Katya and, right Scott and his dance partner Natalie Lowe performing in Saturday night's semi-final


He said he had received 'a little bit of stick' from his new teammates at Saracens but added: 'It's been easy to fit in.

The players have got something to talk to me about. They want to know all the gossip.
'There's been a little bit of mick-taking but I can take it.'

He is now going to put television to one side and focus on getting into the Welsh Six Nations side and looking ahead to the World Cup.

'I hadn't played rugby for nearly two years. It was a struggle injury-wise, for my body and form. I wasn't in a very positive place and I needed to sort that out.


Still in the running: Kara Tointon looked pretty in pink as she danced with Artem Chigvintsev


'But I've got my energy and my drive back now.'

He also hopes the show has helped the public to get to know him but he has not intention of giving up his well-publicised grooming.

'Everyone has had a chance now to see the real me. Whether they like me or not at least they got a better picture of me. Now they can make up their own minds.

'I take pride in what I look like. I've been like that since I was a kid. I don't think there's anything wrong with that.'

Maslen's Charleston last night with dance partner Natalie Lowe was described as 'cute' and 'quirky' but was not enough to save him from elimination after the public vote.


Top score: Pamela Stephenson and James Jordan were awarded full marks for their efforts on the dance floor and, right, Matt Baker and Aliona Vilani


The actor, 39, said: 'It's the best experience, maybe of my life.

'Such a learning curve to come in with no skill-set - a real challenge. To do it live - even more of a challenge.'

Next week's final will see the remaining contestants perform four routines.
In previous weeks the public vote has been added to the judges scores but this time the public will have the final say.

Henson said: 'It's going to be a hell of a competitive final.

'Kara's lovely. She should win it. She looks such a natural dancer. You can't tell which one's a professional.'

He praised his own dance partner, saying: 'I will miss her lots. Hopefully we will be still be friends. The work she has put in has been so inspiring.'


Gavin and Katya, Semi-finals Part 2 - Strictly Come Dancing 2010 - BBC One



Pamela and James, Semi-finals Part 2 - Strictly Come Dancing 2010 - BBC One



First Reactions, Results Show Week 11 - Strictly Come Dancing 2010 - BBC One



Results from Voting Semi Final Week 11 - Strictly Come Dancing 2010



Take That Singing "Back For Good" live - Strictly Come Dancing 2010


Strictly Showdancers Opening Results Show Semi Final Week 11 - Strictly Come Dancing 2010


source : dailymail

No comments:

Post a Comment